Wednesday 1 July 2009

The Last few days....




OK. Im going to start by saying that I will try to make a post in one form or another MOST evenings (except for when I am camping or somthing), because every evening I'll be uploading photos onto my laptop and stuff so I'll have a bit of time just to write about the day. I dont know if anyone is following it, but....may as well...just in case.

So seeing as i havn't written about the last few days, ill give a breif recout of each day up until now.

Monday 29th June (Flight Day) - The big day. This was the day I was due to leave England, and begin my long and tiresome jorney to The States. Well, the flight wasn't actually a bad as I had anticipated. It turned out to only be 8 hours from Gatwick to Cincinatti which was good. The service on the plane was great and the american air hosts/hostesses were really nice (much better than Ryanair!). I saw Ireland for the first time and we saw huge icebergs off the cost of Nova Scotia which was extremely cool! I didnt really wath an of the movies being shown. The journey got a little bumpy at times whih was scary but fun. So all in all...pretty impressed by Delta. Even the food was OK!

When we got to Cincinatti we had only 2 hours to make out change-over from Cincinatti to Salt Lake. Luckily we all got through customs fine (even though the customs agent was like "Why are you here"? "Why are you here for so long"? "What are you doing whilst your here"? "Where are you staying"? and so forth) although, Nathan and Britney had it easy as they could just go through the permanant residents bit. The plane to Salt Lake was smaller but it was still OK, it actually had a fair amount of legroom which was nice, although, my bum was very numb from sitting down for so long! On the way to Salt Lake we flew over the Unitah mountains, Colorado, Southern Utah and all the red-rock canyons, The Dinosaur National Monument and we had to change our flight path so that we didnt fly into a Tornado over Nevada. That was kool. The decent from 30,000 feet into Salt Lake was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. We flew level with the Wasatch Range which were snow-capped and I could see so many amazing mountains, lakes, canyons, Salt Lake City, temples and much more. Truly breathtaking.

When we got off the plane the exit from Salt Lake was very easy as we had already cleared customs at Cincinatti. We got our luggage, met Reed and Joslyn (Britneys parents) and went to Britneys home (where I am going to be staying for the next 6 weeks, except when we go away camping and road-tripping and such like). Utah is AMAZING! The mountains are huge, there is about 10 fast food places on every street and they are GOOD! There are NO roundabouts, there are drive-through banks, and its so hot! Ahhhh. Very kool place. We stopped off at Carls Junior on the way back (best burger place ever!). It was so big i couldnt even finish what I ordered! Anyway, we went home and got unpacked, only to find that my brand new bottle of aftershave had leaked during the flight and had completely emptied all over my luggage. Ah well, at least now all my stuff smells good. Then it was off to bed to recover from jet-lag.


Tuesday 30th June - Ok. Well today was a good day. I woke up at around 6:30 am due to jet-lag. We got up and got dressed and then went into town to run some errands. We got to a chiropracter to get Nathan and Britney's backs crunched, then went to the Social Services office to get Nathan a number. We then went to Jahso's which is this really kool chilled bak restaurant when is realy good. I had this thing called a French Dip Sandwich which was very nice. And I had Unlimated free root-beer refils!

We then went to Wheeler Canyon. That was absolutly spectacular! The massive rock formations there were incredible. We saw plently of Golden Eagles whilst we were there as well. As it was so hot, We stopped fo a while and dipped out feet in a little creek which rand down the canyon. Took lots of photos!!

We went to Wal-Mart on the way home. It was really kool! It was my first time in a Wal-Mart and it was HUGE! I mean really really really big!! There was everything there. I bought a load of stuff you cant get in the UK such as Reeses Peices, Wonka Nerds, Polar Ice Gum, and other stuff. I didnt get any of the amazing cereal because Reed and Joslyn had already bought me a big box of Lucky Charms so I didnt need any cereal......yet. I did however, stand in the cereal isle and fell into a trance like stupor. I was in heaven! Ill definately take my camera into Wal-Mart and take a load of photos to show you of the cereal isle. It really is somthing else!

We then went home and went to bed. Still gota catch up on the Jet-Lag.

Wednesday 1st July - Today was very much a laid back kinda day. We went to another chiropracter appointment for Nathan. He should be ok for Southern Utah next week which is kool! We went to Carls Juniors again (Oh how I love that place). We ran a load of other errands such as going to 'the mall' where plenty of the shop assisstant seemed to like my accent AND I managed to find a really kool T-shirt for $4!!!!!!!!! Nice! I also discovered my new favourite shop. "Sportsmans Warehouse". It really is....amazing. I could quite easily spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars in there. Its the kind of place that makes me want to move to Utah. Imagine the size of Sainsbury's, and times it by about 2, and that how big it is (but with 2 levels) and instead of grocerys, there is everything any outdoor enthuiast/hiker/traveller could EVER wish for!!!!! It is simply amazing. SO much better than Millets or Mountain Warehouse.

Anyway yeah, tommorow we are climbing Lewis Peak. We were gona climb Ben Lomond Peak but Nathan and Britney want to save their energy for Southern Utah and I know how much they want to do Ben Lomond Peak so I thought I would rather save Ben Lomond and do it with them. Tommorow it is just me and Reed going up. Ill take lots of photos. Early start though! And on that note, im going to go to bed.

Goodnight.

2 comments:

  1. I'll try again! Your blog is fab! I love reading all about what you are doing! Sounds like you are having an amazing time! Really happy for you! Have a great day! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gonna be fab to follow your travels and adventures. You have to get them to take you to a Cabela's too.. you'll love it... and if you like mexican food Cafe Rio is wonderful. And Coldstone for ice cream (or maggie moos, but I prefer coldstone!) Not that I'm into food or anything! Haha.

    ReplyDelete